Buckfastleigh Primary School is committed to providing a safe a secure environment for children, staff and visitors and to promoting a climate where children and adults will feel confident about sharing any concerns they may have about their own safety or the wellbeing of others.
The lead safeguarding officers in this school are:
- Jan Hillman - Schools Designated Officer for Child Protection
- Jane Ramsay - Deputy Designated Officer for Child Protection
- Rachel Shaw - Deputy Designated Officer for Child Protection
If any member of staff is concerned about a pupil's well-being, emotional or physical, and/or has worries about their safety either from their own or others’ actions (others include adults and young people in and out of school)
Remember - Never feel worried to share a concern.
It is always better to share a concern and find out later that there was nothing to worry about than not to share a concern and find out later that a child has suffered.
The school procedure is as follows:
- Discuss concerns with the School Designated Officer
- Concerns must be reported as soon as possible. It is much better to share a concern or worry than to keep it to yourself.
- The School Desingated Officer will make a decision as to whether outside agencies should be involved. This will usually be following advice from the Child Protection Threshold Team (CYPS)
- Write down as soon as possible what the pupil has told you, including the time, date, and names of other people involved.
- Confidentiality should never be promised, you have a legal obligation to share any concerns that involve a child being harmed or at risk of harm
- The pupil's welfare is paramount.
- If the concern relates to the conduct of another member of staff this must be reported to the Executive Headteacher.
All staff receive regular safeagurding training and updates. Staff are given a copy of the following documents each year and sign to say that they have read them.
- Keeping Children Safe in Education 2016
- Safer working practices in school
- SDA Child Protection Policy
- Staff Code of Conduct
Where to get further information and advice:
- Keeping Children Safe in Education
- The booklet ‘What to do if you are worried a child is being abused’
- Devon Safeguarding Children’s board - DSCB
Please click on the link below to read our current child protection policy.